Forwarding updates between views

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Sun Nov 22 20:01:16 UTC 2009

On Nov 22, 2009, at 1:49 AM, Chris Hills wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a zone "example.com" configured in two views, internal-in and external-in. I have a dynamic zone "dyn.example.com" configured only as an external zone. Internal clients can lookup hosts in dyn.example.com, but cannot update ("not authorised") as the updates are matched by the zone internal-in and not forwarded. Is it possible for bind to forward the updates from the internal-in zone to the external-in zone? I want to avoid having to have 2 dynamic zones (faq node/291) for simplicity of configuration.
>
> The configuration is like so (note local-networks does /not/ include ::1 to allow recursive queries from internal-in to external-in):-
>
> view "internal-in" IN {
>  match-clients { local-networks; };
>  allow-recursion { local-networks; };
>  forwarders { ::1; };
>
>  zone "example.com." {
>    type master;
>    file "master/example.com.internal.zone";
>  };
>  zone "dyn.example.com." {
>    type forward;
>    forward only;
>    forwarders { ::1; };
>  };
> };

Change the zone from type forward to type slave, and add allow-update-forwarding.

zone "dyn.example.com." {
	type slave;
	masters { ::1; };
	allow-update-forwarding { local-networks; };
};

Then in the external-in view, change allow-update to:

	allow-update { ::1; };

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice