Overload some records for intern use

Thomas Harold thomas-news at nybeta.com
Fri Nov 13 14:59:35 UTC 2009

On 11/13/2009 9:39 AM, Johan VAN RYSEGHEM wrote:
> I thought I tried this. I retried and guess what, it worked. Seems like
> my original setup was wrong. I must have misused the $ORIGIN keyword.
> Nonetheless, I think i'm going to keep pdnsd, as it's easier to setup
> for the my use.

And just for completeness sake...

BIND's split views can be used to accomplish things in a similar manner,
but is more for the times where your BIND server is the authoritative
server for your domain.  It allows you to provide different results to
different clients and to only publish part of your zone to the internet.

http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/split_view_with_bind_9_howto.php

You can also use the "create a domain" trick in non-BIND servers to
overload A records for internal clients.  I've done it at a Windows-only
site using Microsoft's DNS server software.  It's a useful trick to know
since it isn't implementation specific.