System Resolver Test App?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 12 18:37:53 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.975.1258042302.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "david at from525.com" <david at from525.com> wrote:

> I have confirmed the issue with the Citrix Netscaler and AAAA records which
> is documented at the link bellow.  Thanks for everyone's help figuring this
> out.
>
> http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX117947

That article was obviously written by someone who knows little of DNS,
and also I doubt that English is his native language.  Notice this
sentence from the Engineering Analysis:

When the engineers queried the BIND LDNS server for Authentication,
Authorization, Accounting and Auditing (AAAA or quad A) record, the GSLB
NetScaler appliance returned a response with root hint records and the
bind returned the SERVFAIL response.

Do they really think that the AAAA record type is an abbreviation for
that?  It's just Address Address Address Address -- IPv6 addresses are
4x the length of IPv4 addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA