Reverse DNS Dig returning PTR results only with trace option

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Nov 11 12:37:48 UTC 2009

On 10.11.09 17:23, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> There is no "BIND way" versus "Windows way". For a range smaller than
> /24 you either need to host all the records in the /24 zone, delegate
> each entry individually (as /32 zones), or use CNAMEs. This is
> determined by the protocol, regardless of whether you're using Microsoft
> DNS, BIND or any other implementation.

Note that each domain that is delegated SHOULD have proper SOA and NS
records, otherwise strange things (like the one you have envcountered) may
happen. If you delegate by adding NS records for each PTR, you create
different domains for them. The same applies to forward domains (I've seen
examples of single record delegations and related problems)

It's much easier and safer to do CNAME delegations.

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.