** server can't find barcelonamedia.org.barcelonamedia.org: SERVFAIL

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 6 09:58:00 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.917.1257494968.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Marc Riera <marc.riera at barcelonamedia.org> wrote:

> Now I have this on my named.conf.options to let me have underscores:
>
>         check-names master ignore;
>         check-names slave  ignore;

Not a good plan.  Those checks are in there for a reason, namely that
underscores are invalid in host names.  Whilst you can make your
nameservers accept them you can't legislate for other software which
might take a less liberal view.  Better to eliminate the underscores.

Note that the restriction on underscores does not apply to the entries
in some special purpose domains such as SRV records and DKIM entries,
just to hostnames - mostly A and PTR records.

Sam