9.6.1-P1 zone parser false errors

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Nov 4 13:52:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, Mark Andrews wrote:

> getaddrinfo() is reporting that aspmx.l.google.com's cannonical
> name is mail-yx0-f102.google.com.  Somewhere in the resolution path
> aspmx.l.google.com is being treated as a alias for
> mail-yx0-f102.google.com.  In the DNS this is done using a CNAME.

That's the kind of name you get if you do a reverse lookup on an IP
address returned by a lookup of aspmx.l.google.com, e.g.

	$ dig +short -x $(dig +short aspmx.l.google.com)
	mail-ew0-f49.google.com.

I'm not sure why getaddrinfo() would be doing a reverse lookup to
canonicalize a name. My test machines (Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux) don't.

Tony.
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.