One A record fails on one server on Sunday evening

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Mon Nov 2 16:11:54 UTC 2009

Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> said:

> Let me say it this way...
>
> Starting ~7PM EST Sunday evening the command
>
> dig mail.alexandertelecominc.com @74.218.88.168 #fails
> dig mail.alexandertelecominc.com @4.2.2.2 #works
>
> until I issue
>
> rndc reload && /etc/init.d/named restart #on the 74.218.88.168 server

Ok, we're getting somewhere.  Do the logs on your 74.218.88.168 server tell
you anything?  Is there anything unusual logged prior to ~7PM EST Sunday?

Again, without knowing more there is no way that we can identify exactly
what occurred to cause the query to fail.  Also, even with all the
information that is available, we may still not be able to identify the
problem.

Then again, is this a one time situation or does it occur regularly?

> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> "When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
> improbable, must be the truth."
> --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I don't know exactly why, but this statement struck me.  Sherlock Holmes
should never have been susceptable to this logical falicy.

The opposite of "the impossible" is "the possible", but no matter how
improbable this "possible" may be, this is not the same as "truth".

A counter example, something occurs and there are three posited causes.  One
cause is "impossible" and can be eliminated.  This leaves the other two
possibilities, no matter how improbable.  This does NOT make both, or
either, of these possibilities "the truth".