How to configure a webhop with BIND?

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Sat May 30 07:08:29 UTC 2009

> Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 07:57:16 +0200
> From: Saša Stupar <sasa at stupar.homelinux.net>
>
> I use BIND as a local DNS server for 200 users. Now I am in situation
> that I need to use a webhop since I need to change listening port on
> apache to other than 80 ( I have another application which need to
> use only port 80).
>
> How do I configure webhop for my eg. local.domain to
> local.domain:10080?

This isn't a bind problem but an HTTP problem.

Your application that only can use port 80 is going to have to get some
'smarts' so that if the remote host is a port 80 client, to go ahead and
process commands.

If the remote host is a port 10080 client, then your port 80 app is
going to have to issue an HTTP redirect to port 10080.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson