Transfer delays

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri May 29 21:37:53 UTC 2009

As per the other answers I've seen posted,
such a delay is often caused by notifies not reaching the
slave from the master.  In such a case, you would not
expect a delay of a fixed time, but rather delays over a
limited range of times, e.g. up to 15 minutes.

A notify is a kind of DNS query, normally UDP.  Can you
do any kind of DNS query from the master to the slave?  Specifically
to/from the server's addresses that are being used by bind?
A firewall or network ACL could be preventing all queries
from master to slave, thus might block notifies.  The
zone transfer, in contrast, is a TCP query from slave to master,
and could work even if UDP queries from master
to slave are blocked.

As per the answers I've seen posted, you also
can look at notify-specific issues: either the master
or the slave could be configured in such a way as
to prevent the sending or receiving of them.  Both
can have logs of notifies sent/received, which you
can use to eliminate this as your issue.