Bind is hanging on CentOS 4.4

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Fri May 29 19:53:16 UTC 2009

At Fri, 29 May 2009 15:41:26 -0400,
David Ford <david at blue-labs.org> wrote:

> Every few releases I try to add threads back in and get the same
> results.  Both on my 32bit linux and 64bit linux machines (current
> gentoo).  Named crashes or hangs.
>
> Jeff Lightner wrote:
> > This may have something to do with the different way Linux does threads
> > compared to UNIX.

I suspect it simply means different things happen in different
(operational) environments, even if the software/hardware is the same.

Admittedly, threaded versions of BIND9 have more bugs than
non-threaded versions due to all the complexity of multi-thread
interactions.  So I won't be surprised there's someone who always has
to disable threads.  At the same time, I won't be surprised there's
someone else who is just happy with threads and enjoys enhanced
performance.  It's regrettable to me that we cannot fully satisfy all
users with threads, but my general impression is that many if not most
users are happily using BIND9 with threads.

(but I'm afraid this is going to be off-topic.  I don't think we're
discussion whether the thread support is good or bad, but how to
disable them for any reason).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.