BIND do not listen on udp port 53

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu May 28 15:12:51 UTC 2009

Hi Thomas,

did you reboot or start/stop bind or kill?

I remember having a named process dangling that kept me from
receiving. After rebooting that worked again.

with

ps -elf | grep named

you should see your named and how it was called:

ps -elf | grep named

5 S hammer   4142     1  0  80   0 -  4142 -      May26 ?        00:00:05 named -u hammer -c named.conf

Now kill 4142, that is my named. Start named manually:

named -u hammer -c named.conf -g

That "-g" switch gets you a named console and you can
see what goes wrong even if it does not write a log.

"Control c" terminates bind and you can either start it without "-g" or
whatever way you normally do.

Kind Regards
Peter

Thomas Manson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using BIND 9.5.0-P2 (on ubuntu server 8.04).
>
>  And the bind server do not listen anymore on the udp port.
>
> I've updated the /etc/bind/named.conf to add a domain, but didn't touch
> the /etc/bind/named.conf.options.
>
> On localhost, when I use nmap I can see that the udp port is not listed.
>
> thomas at ns1:/etc/bind$ sudo nmap -sS localhost
> [sudo] password for thomas:
>
> Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-05-28 15:17 CEST
> Warning: Hostname localhost resolves to 2 IPs. Using 127.0.0.1.
> Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
> Not shown: 1709 closed ports
> PORT     STATE SERVICE
> 22/tcp   open  ssh
> 25/tcp   open  smtp
> 53/tcp   open  domain
> 80/tcp   open  http
> 953/tcp  open  rndc
> 9102/tcp open  jetdirect
>
> Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.175 seconds
> thomas at ns1:/etc/bind$
>

> Does anyone have an idea of what's going on ?
>
> I can't figure out why this stop working as before.
>
> Maybe it's trivial, but as it's not my fulltime job to manage these dns
> servers (and have so much other thing to deal with), so help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas.

Peter and Karin Dambier