AW: file descriptors and max-clients-per-query

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue May 26 23:38:40 UTC 2009

At Thu, 14 May 2009 17:46:42 +0200,
"Philippe Maechler" <pmaechler-ml at glattnet.ch> wrote:

> > > I'm running a bind 9.4.2-p2 and a 9.5.1-P1 both on a
> > FreeBSD 6.x box
> > > as caching servers.
> > > let's call them ns1 and ns2 :P
> > >
> > > short after we shutdown server one we get error messages on
> > the other server
> > > -> socket: too many open file descriptors
> >
> > What is the "other server"? I assume you are getting this
> > error message with the old 9.4.2-P2 (and not on the 9.5.1-P1).
>
> No i have the messages on both servers.
> If ns1 goes down, we get the messages on ns2 and vice-versa.

How many sockets are open when you see this message?  Normally the
socket() call shouldn't fail even if named uses many sockets (it will
fail anyway, but the failure mode is normally different), so it's very
odd to see the above message.  Are you perhaps limiting the system
resource for the number of allowable open sockets?  Do you set the
'files' option in your named.conf?

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.