MX is a numeric IP

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu May 21 07:01:10 UTC 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 11:33 PM, "Tech W." <techwww at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> What will be happened if a MX is an numeric IP?

 From a DNS perspective, You may or may not get an error in reload. I
have seen both cases where I do a lookup and get an ip.

I have seen cases where the DNS server will complain.

 From a MTA's (receiving email server) perspective, a good deal of
email will be rejected.  I believe Exim out of the box will reject the
mail.

I reject by my choice in my configuration.

Further, the MX must also point specifically to an A record.

I hope that helps.

--
Scott