bind 9.4.2 secondary refusing request

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue May 19 19:03:03 UTC 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Arno _ wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm having an issue with a bind 9.4.2 on Solaris 10, on the
> secondary the dns is refusing to answer to a request, and the same
> request is qnswered on the primary.
>
> here is the dig ouput on the secondary on 9.4.2:
> hyperion:~ $ dig @ns2.test ifbp.ch
> ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> hyperion:~ $ dig @ns2.second ifbp.ch
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4
>
> Any clue why the 9.4.2 is refusing to answer ?

The difference is a change between 9.4.1 and 9.4.2. The differences are:

- The allow-recursion ACL has a different default.
- The allow-query-cache directive actually works now.

For 9.4.1, the query is handled by named's resolver. For 9.4.2, the
query is refused. In neither case is the server acting as a slave for
the zone, nor are they configured as slaves.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice