/dev/random in chroot jail causing errors with nsupdate of dnssec signed zone

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri May 15 01:51:47 UTC 2009

In message <4B18A8F75A6384449755BC7784073E93603B776C52 at exch11.olympus.f5net.com
>, Jack Tavares writes:
> One other thing:
> when I remove /dev/random from the chroot, bind just uses the
> pre-chroot /dev/random
> 14-May-2009 14:09:51.065 could not open entropy source /dev/random: file no=
> t found
> 14-May-2009 14:09:51.065 using pre-chroot entropy source /dev/random
> which is groovy.
> So I guess I dont need the chroot random, but I would still like
> to know why using the chrooted /dev/random causes this problem.

	Some versions of OpenSSL do unconditional RSA blinding and
	this uses /dev/random.  RSA blinding is needed when you are
	establishing a encrypted connection such as with SSL.  It
	is not needed when generating RRSIG's and we disable it
	when we can.

	I suspect that /dev/random is not returning enough random
	data and that the RSA blinding operation is failing as a
	result.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC