file descriptors and max-clients-per-query

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Thu May 14 14:04:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Philippe Maechler wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>
> I'm running a bind 9.4.2-p2 and a 9.5.1-P1 both on a FreeBSD 6.x box as
> caching servers.
> let's call them ns1 and ns2 :P
>
> short after we shutdown server one we get error messages on the other server
> -> socket: too many open file descriptors

What is the "other server"? I assume you are getting this error message
with the old 9.4.2-P2 (and not on the 9.5.1-P1).

Before answering your other questions, can you please consider running the
latest 9.4.x version? Versions newer than yours offer an improved and more
efficient socket API on support systems (like use of kqueue on FreeBSD).

If you continue to have the same problems on BIND 9.4.3 (or BIND
9.5.1-P1) or newer, please let us know.