tcp versus udp

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu May 7 06:32:31 UTC 2009

In message <barmar-DDA2DA.01122607052009 at mara100-84.onlink.net>, Barry Margolin
 writes:
> In article <gtrqte$2ins$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Sam Wilson <Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <gtrbsa$296l$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > One place that TCP may make sense - if you are involved in a registry
> > > system and the process involves actually checking the information that
> > > you are given, including nameservers (do they exist, do they serve that
> > > zone - correctly?) - it may make a lot of sense to do TCP Digs for the
> > > information (though that should probably be after a failed UDP dig - as
> > > a number of people do insist on disallowing Port 53 TCP).
> >
> > If the registry is testing for compliant servers then a failed TCP query
> > should flag the server as non-working, as would a failed UDP query.
>
> DNS servers MUST support UDP, and only SHOULD support TCP.  So a failed
> TCP query should not flag the server as non-working.

	I would expect TLD's to not accept DNSSEC material without
	a working TCP/DNS service.  There are too many cases where
	resolvers are forced back to TCP with DNSSEC to allow it
	to happen.

	I also suspect that 99.9% of people that block DNS/TCP do
	so without the necessary considerations required to override
	the SHOULD of RFC 1123, Section 6.1.5.  Anyone that thinks
	TCP is only used for AXFR and can therefore be blocked
	clearly has not done the relevent study.

	Mark

	RFC 1123.

         *    "SHOULD"

              This word or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" means that there
              may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
              ignore this item, but the full implications should be
              understood and the case carefully weighed before choosing
              a different course.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org