Bind Statistics questions

Nuno Ribeiro nribeiro82 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 11:37:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

Comments inline.

Thanks in any advance.

Best Regards,
NR

2009/5/5 JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org>

> At Tue, 5 May 2009 11:11:13 +0100,
> Nuno Ribeiro <nribeiro82 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have some doubts and I would like clarify them:
> > - Bind ( version 9.5) provides lots of statistics information and
> provides
> > two interfaces for users to get access to it (file dump and HTTP access).
> > For what I see and read the counters are cumulative during the time the
> > service is running. My question is if it possible to reset the counter
> > statistics in real time in order to have statistic details in a time
> > interval?
>
> It's currently not possible.  We've actually discussed before, so you
> might want to search the mail archive.  It would not be difficult to
> implement it, but I've personally not yet seen a strong argument for
> it.  Most if not all of the things that the reset feature could
> provide can be achieved by post-processing cumulative data, so, for
> now I'd rather keep the server side simple.
>
> > Other question is if there is any statistic detail provide us information
> > such this "average time answering to queries of type A"
>
> The answer would be no anyway, but I'm afraid the question is also not
> very clear.  Can you define "average time answering to queries of type
> A" more precisely? (e.g. it's not even clear about an authoritative
> server or a recursive server)

[NR] I didn't saw yet any option (logging or statistics) that allows an
administrator to know which time Bind is taking to process a query (by type
of query) and answer to it . This could be saved as general indicators
associated to the number of incoming queries  (divided by type of query).
If this is not possible yet, is there any log that can be activated that
allows me to know the time that Bind is is taking to process a query in
order to build some post-processing logic that could give me these
indicators.

Note: I'm considering questions to an authoritative server

--
Nuno Ribeiro