FORMERR resolving AAAA/IN records

b19141 at anl.gov b19141 at anl.gov
Thu Mar 26 14:19:02 UTC 2009

Oliver Henriot <Oliver.Henriot at imag.fr> wrote:

>Dear list users,
>
>I have a bind 9.3 server on a centos 5.2 machine which logs huge (about
>12 errors every second) quantities of FORMERR messages while trying to
>resolve AAAA/IN records which look like this :
>
>Mar 25 08:44:24 myserver named[1124]: FORMERR resolving
>'auniarael.com/AAAA/IN': 216.69.185.38#53
>
>I'm a bit of a bind noob so I scoured the bind 9.3 ARM and the web
>looking for info which could help me understand what is going wrong. I
>found nothing of much use to me, appart from a thread on this list from
>2006 in which Barry Finkel has a similar question. I followed the
>logging instructions he gives and solved the overfull /var/log problem
>but I presume I still have these FORMERR problems occuring.
>
>Just for info, if it of any use, in a log file from before modifying
>logging, I had 1826550 lines of AAAA FORMERR but of these, only 275
>unique adresses, so it's always the same requests and always the same
>errors...
>I don't think it's a recursion problem, I have restricted that to my
>networks.
>I only get these logs on this server, not on any of the others.
>
>I'd greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction
>to try and work out what is going wrong and fix it.

Look at the output of these queries:

dnsserver% dig auniarael.com @216.69.185.38

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> auniarael.com @216.69.185.38
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      auniarael.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
auniarael.com.          1H IN A         68.178.232.143

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
auniarael.com.          1H IN NS        cpns01.secureserver.net.
auniarael.com.          1H IN NS        cpns02.secureserver.net.

;; Total query time: 62 msec
;; FROM: dnsserver.anl.gov to SERVER: 216.69.185.38  216.69.185.38
;; WHEN: Thu Mar 26 09:05:56 2009
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 105

dnsserver% !! AAAA
dig auniarael.com @216.69.185.38 AAAA

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> auniarael.com @216.69.185.38 AAAA
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      auniarael.com, type = AAAA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       cpns01.secureserver.net. dns.jomax.net. (
                                        20080922        ; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

auniarael.com.          1H IN NS        cpns01.secureserver.net.
auniarael.com.          1H IN NS        cpns02.secureserver.net.

;; Total query time: 62 msec
;; FROM: dnsserver.anl.gov to SERVER: 216.69.185.38  216.69.185.38
;; WHEN: Thu Mar 26 09:06:02 2009
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 157

dnsserver%

Note that the first query defaults to an "A" record search, and the
authority section gives the names of the two name servers.  This is
fine.  The second query is specifically for an "AAAA" record.
Note the authority section -

     ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
     .                       1D IN SOA    ...

The authority is the root.  BIND (correctly) does not believe this
and returns FORMERR (format error).  This occurs, as Mark Andrews
pointed out to me a numbe of months ago, because the DNS administrator
has placed all of the records for various zones into one zone, and thus
cannot configure an SOA record that is correct.  A search for an "A"
record that exists will return correct values, but a search for a
record that does not exist forces DNS to return the faulty SOA record.

I just ran my FORMERR script against our current /var/adm/messsages,
and I see a handful of DNS servers producing most of the FORMERR
messages:

 cnt DNS Server IP
 --- --------------
  37 60.191.254.243