BIND logging

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Sat Mar 7 00:47:33 UTC 2009

simian wrote:
> Morning,
>
> I'm busy learning a bit more about DNS/BIND, but I seem to have run into
> a problem. My server does not seem to propogate, so my questions are:
>
> Where does BIND log it's errors to? I see some named entries in my syslog,
> is it the only place it logs to?
>
> If so, can I change the logfile where BIND logs it's errors? Get it to be a bit
> more verbose?
Check out the "logging" section of the documentation. Your basic options
are to send to syslog or to write directly to a file (with the option to
have BIND roll over the logfile, with limits on the number of versions
to keep and the size of each version).

There are also capabilities to run named in debug mode, and an
interaction with debugging level and logging which is a little too
involved to explain briefly here.

- Kevin