Bind9.3.5 or 6 on ubuntu

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jun 26 21:40:48 UTC 2009

	The present package for bind under ubuntu Linux is
bind9.5. This is great and I am not complaining at all but all
the rest of our bind servers are FreeBSD and using 9.3.5, soon
to be 9.3.6. I read that it is best for them all to be the same
version of bind.  I have been asked to set up a slave DNS on a
ubuntu system which happens to be in the correct subnet so this
is a good idea, but I want it to be as functionally close as
possible to the rest of our DNS's. Eventually, they will all be
upgraded to bind9.5, but
for now, this one needs to be like the rest rather than
introducing new unknowns in to the system.

	Should I be able to find a Debian package of bind9.3.6?
Basically, is there a recommended way to accomplish this without
too much extra work?

The configuration for bind9.3.5 has several
parameters in it that bind9.5 essentially did not understand:

/etc/bind/named.conf.local:8: unknown option 'allow-query'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:29: unknown option 'auth-nxdomain'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:30: unknown option 'cleaning-interval'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:31: unknown option 'max-journal-size'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:32: unknown option 'sortlist'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:38: unknown option 'allow-transfer'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:42: unknown option 'check-names'
/etc/bind/named.conf.local:43: unknown option 'check-names'

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer