Zone transfer failing

Hauke Lampe list+bindusers at hauke-lampe.de
Tue Jun 23 22:01:16 UTC 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:

> $dig sugardimplesdesigns.com SOA @ns1.hostwizard.com +short

Do you block 53/tcp anywhere on the path to your nameserver?
It rejects TCP queries:

| dig +tcp sugardimplesdesigns.com SOA @ns1.hostwizard.com +short
| ;; Connection to 64.84.37.14#53(64.84.37.14) for
sugardimplesdesigns.com failed: connection refused.

This matches the error log from your secondary:

>     transfer of 'sugardimplesdesigns.com/IN' from 64.84.37.14#53: failed to
>     connect: connection refused

You must allow TCP to port 53 for DNS to function properly.

> Appears to me I am refusing them, I do not see it in my logs, what logs
> would be it in, or what logging statements would I turn on to be able to
> diagnose this?

I would probably first check if the server actually listens on 53/tcp
(with fuser, netstat or similar) and then use tcpdump.

Hauke.