Questions about DNAME records

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Fri Jun 19 01:42:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:12:07PM -0700, Chris Buxton wrote:
> Yes, that will absolutely work. But the OP requested a method that did
> not involve managing the public data in two places.

Which is exactly what views are for.  External data is kept in ONE file,
as below.

named.conf:

	acl localfolk {
		localhost;
		LOC.AL.NET.WORK/MASK;
	};

	view "internal" {
		// This should match our internal networks.
		match-clients { localfolk; };

		// Provide recursive service to internal clients only.
		recursion yes;

		// Provide a complete view of the example.com zone
		// including addresses of internal hosts.
		zone "example.com" {
			type master;
			file "zone.example.int";
		};
	};

	view "external" {
		// Match all clients not matched by the previous view.
		match-clients { any; };

		// Refuse recursive service to external clients.
		recursion no;

		// Provide a restricted view of the example.com zone
		// containing only publicly accessible hosts.
		zone "example.com" {
			type master;
			file "zone.example.ext";
		};
	};

zone.example.ext:

	$TTL	1d

	@	IN SOA	...
		IN NS	...

	// Remember to increment the SOA serial number when this is
	// updated!
	$INCLUDE "data/example.ext.data"

zone.example.int:

	$TTL	1d

	@	IN SOA	...
		IN NS	...

	// Remember to increment the SOA serial number when either of
	// these is updated!
	$INCLUDE "data/example.ext.data"
	$INCLUDE "data/example.int.data"

--