Questions about DNAME records

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Thu Jun 18 16:08:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:44:38AM -0700, Chris Buxton wrote:
> Setting aside the DNAME record, what you're trying to accomplish is
> something frequently requested - a private overlay on an otherwise
> public zone that doesn't obscure the public zone. But it doesn't work
> the way you want - a server that is authoritative for a zone is fully
> authoritative for that zone - positively and negatively.
>
> The only way to accomplish what you want would be to create one or
> more private zones for subdomains of example.com, to cover the names
> that need to resolve privately without obscuring the public data for
> example.com. For example, you could create _tcp.example.com - I'd be
> willing to bet that this subdomain does not exist in the public
> namespace. You could then DNAME this to _tcp.example2.com, or you
> could explicitly create the CNAME records you want to have.

I don't remember all of the original question, but ... ISTM this is not
the only way.  One may also have public and private views of the same
zone, including only the public info in the public view, but including
public and private info in the private view.  I would agree if you were
to argue that separate subdomains are a cleaner way to do this, though.

--
**