Dynamic DNS and Slave Servers

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Jun 18 14:50:49 UTC 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Borgia, Joe A CTR USAF AFMC AFRL/RIOS
wrote:
> I’m trying to learn DDNS at break-neck speed over here. I guess I’m
> a little surprised that there are .jnl files on my slave server. I
> have no allow-update statements on that server, unless maybe these
> files are coming from zone transfer?

Correct. Modern versions of BIND assemble journal files based on the
IXFR's (incremental zone transfers) that they get from their masters.

allow-update in a slave zone would be invalid.

> Also, is it normal for the master zone tables to turn into files
> that look like slave zone tables after you enable DDNS?

Yes. Once a zone is dynamic, you're no longer allowed to edit the zone
file directly (unless you make it static again, for example by use of
'rndc freeze'). And after it starts to receive updates, the server
needs to be able to write the effect of those updates to the zone
file. Rather than work with the content you have, making changes to
the file, named simply writes out a new file and deletes the old one.
This happens 15 minutes after the first update received after the last
time the zone was written out. That is:

starting point
wait for an update
receive update
wait 15 minutes
write out new zone file containing the current snapshot state of the
zone

Of course, all updates are immediately written to the journal file
when they're received, so that if the server should fail or be told to
halt, the next time it starts up it can recover the most recent state.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice