Configuration for "hostname.bind."

Chris Hills chaz at chaz6.com
Sat Jun 13 09:39:02 UTC 2009

On 13/06/09 11:08, Chris Hills wrote:
> Hi
>
> One can change the response to "version.bind. chaos txt" using the
> configuration directive "version". Is there an equivalent configuration
> directive for "hostname.bind. chaos txt"?
>
> Also, is it possible to configure BIND to respond on version.server.
> chaos txt and id.server. chaos txt in the same manner as version.bind.
> and hostname.bind. (i.e. automatically without requiring a separate zone
> file)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Hills

To satisfy my curiosity I tried to specify the zones manually, using the
following in named.conf:-

zone "bind" CHAOS {
   type master;
   file "master/bind.zone";
};

zone "server" CHAOS {
   type master;
   file "master/server.zone";
};

However, named-checkconf said:-

/etc/named.conf:160: zone 'bind': class 'CHAOS' does not match
view/default class
/etc/named.conf:165: zone 'server': class 'CHAOS' does not match
view/default class

I could not find any reference to this message. As far as I can tell
from the documentation, this should work! I am running 9.6.1 if that helps.

Regards,

Chris