Changing CHROOT at BIND compile time

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Wed Jun 10 16:13:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Todd Snyder wrote:

> I am working at building BIND, and I will admit right now that I am not
> much of a developer.  I noticed that when you compile/make/install BIND,
> it creates /var/named/chroot as the default chroot jail.  We don't use
> that particular standard, and have been simply moving things afterwards.

BIND doesn't create a chroot directory. BIND doesn't have a default chroot
directory.

I think you are seeing that from something else.

> However, I'm wondering if there is a way to define, at compile time,
> where the chroot will be created, so that we don't have to do the
> intermediate movement step?  I've been trying to dig through the
> configure script, and through the Makefile to find this, but as I said
> before, I'm not much of a developer, and I'm not really familiar with
> the processes.
>
> I'm guessing that there must be a way to change this, as everything is
> just makefiles/source at compile time, but I am not sure where to look.

named doesn't create the chroot directory.

The chroot directory is defined on the named command line with -t switch.

We currently don't have option to define this at compile time. Start
looking at the ns_g_chrootdir in the code.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  ISC