BIND not talking to syslog daemon

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 15:23:10 UTC 2009

On Jun 10 2009, Todd Snyder wrote:

>I have a nameserver running BIND 9.3.5-p1 that doesn't want to log to
>the syslog daemon.  I have 2 identically configured servers, one of them
>works, one doesn't.
>
>My logging configuration looks like:
>
>        category default                { my_default; default_syslog;
>default_debug; };
>
>I don't have a channel defined for "default_syslog" which means the
>daemon should be using the built-in channel, as I understand it.
>
>While logs are seen in "my_default", they are just not showing up in
>syslog.  We have restarted syslog-ng and verified the configuration,
>it's the same as the working unit.

Maybe it's as simple as the severity cutoff in your syslog.conf
(for category "daemon", from the default_syslog channel) not
letting the messages through? What severity are the messages you
are seeing via my_default? (Add a "print-severity yes;" to its
definition if you haven't already.)

>Syslog works otherwise on the box from other daemons, just not named.
>Our thought is that for some reason the named daemon can't connect to
>syslog, or gave up trying.
>
>We cannot reload named on the box right now, so I am looking to see if
>anyone has suggestions about what might be causing this, and/or ways to
>resolve it without restarting the named daemon.

You never need to restart named. (Well, hardly ever.) You can change
the logging configuration in named.conf, check your syntax with
named-checkconf, and put it into effect with "rndc reconfig".

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk