2GB Memory Limits on Solaris 10

Raymond Popowich popowich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:35:05 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am running several Bind 9.6.0-P1 DNS resolvers on Solaris 10.  The largest
does around 2500 queries/second at peak times.  They are configured with
--enable-largefile support.  About once a month I am having a problem with
the largest resolvers breaking when the named process hits 2GB.  I've logged
a few different errors including file descriptor limits which I increased
when that happened, to increasing the option for max-cache-size, to my
current errors such as ns_client_replace() failed: out of memory.  The
servers have 8GB of physical memory.  I am OK with telling bind to use an
unlimited amount of resources or specifying a double in the current maximum
up to 4GB.  Would it be possible for someone to provide a full list of all
of the named.conf options that I need to specify in named.conf and increase
from the default settings?  I've been fixing these errors one at a time for
a while now and I really can't afford to keep troubleshooting this problem
by waiting for new errors to happen.

Thank you for your time,

-Raymond