Single Zone Forwarding Dilema

Mark S. Turczan mturczan at nyp.org
Sat Jun 6 03:00:28 UTC 2009

Folks,

I'm trying to understand the behavior of a single zone that I'm
forwarding queries for.

Essentially, when I do a dig fwd.zone.net SOA the request seems to be
properly forwarded to the nameservers in the forward statement. I've
verified this with tcpdump running on my primary nameserver.

But when I attempt to resolve a host record in fwd.zone.net it doesn't
seem to be forwarded to the proper nameservers and instead goes out to
the Internet.

I've verified that the host record exists on the remote nameservers to
which I am forwarding by looking up the record directly from the
remote nameserver.

This is what the forwarded zone's configuration looks like:

// zone: fwd.zone.net
zone "fwd.zone.net"
{
     type forward;
     forwarders { <public ip withheld>; <public ip withheld>; };
};

Am I correct in understanding that each and every query for any record
in the forwarded zone should be forwarded to the specified nameservers
and not go out to the Internet? BTW, I'm running BIND 9.3.5-P1.

Regards,

Mark