PTR delegation

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jun 3 19:06:16 UTC 2009

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> Hoping I can get a walk through in simple terms, but also a pointer
> to some docs where I can dive into the details.  I think I am
> finding what I want in the docs, but those docs come up 404 since
> the isc site changed things a bit, from there, I generally can not
> locate the old doc file.
>
> 1) Is it possible to determine what ip range/space has been given to
> user of that IP space?  For example, in a colocation environment, I
> am given say, a /24, and I want to look that up and see if it really
> is a /24.  I have found the -x option which is making life a lot
> easier to find PTR records.
>
> 2) Given an IP that does not have a PTR, how do I determine if it
> has been "sub delegated" (?) to the user of that IP?   I need to
> learn whether or not I need to contact the IP provider, and ask for
> a PTR record, or if I need to add one in myself.

I was thinking and testing, and I believe I can answer part of my own
question, but please correct and advise where I am wrong.

Given an ip of 64.84.37.2
$dig -x 64.84.37.2
	2.37.84.64.in-addr.arpa. 3589	IN	PTR	capone.hostwizard.com.

So I clearly have a PTR, but I want to see who has been delegated
control of the PTR.
Dropping the trailing 2
$dig 37.84.64.in-addr.arpa NS
	37.84.64.in-addr.arpa.	3538	IN	NS	ns1.nacio.com.
	37.84.64.in-addr.arpa.	3538	IN	NS	ns3.nacio.com.
	37.84.64.in-addr.arpa.	3538	IN	NS	ns2.nacio.com.

This to me looks like nacio.com in this case is going to control the
PTR zones?

I can go to arin.net and do a lookup there, and find that I have been
dished out a /26, how do I use dig to get that same answer?

Thanks again.