stats brainteaser

Hauke Lampe list+bindusers at hauke-lampe.de
Fri Jul 31 22:41:42 UTC 2009

Todd wrote:

> Yesterday I needed to flush the cache on a number of my servers, and I
> saw a big spike in queries recorded by the server in the "success"
> category. The spike was about 40% more than the usual traffic.

After a cache flush, the server has to re-fetch glue and nameserver
records from the root up to the target names. This can cause a
noticeable spike on a busy resolver. The statistics count these
"internal" queries, too.

> So, my mental exercise is this ... does BIND not record a cache hit as
> a success?

It does, AFAIK. If it was a success and not a cached negative response
or other.

> Assuming my clients are doing say, 1000queries/second, and all 1000
> are cache hits, do they show up as a success?

They do, but so do successfully resolved cache misses.

The number of cache hits is approximately

Approximately, because the value includes answers from local
authoritative zones, FORMERRs and other responses that did not come from
the cache.

Hauke.