Can't transfer RFC2317 reverse zone

Steve Brown sbrown25 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 17:16:10 UTC 2009

>> From what I have seen on this list, BIND typically spits out this
>> error when it doesn't have write permission on its working directory.
>
>        No.  Read the error message.  It says "file not found" in
>        this case the file not found was the directory "bak.0".
>
>> However, I know this is not the case because it transferred a dozen
>> other zones just fine. Its only barfing on this one reverse zone. I'm
>> guessing that it has something to do with how BIND names the temp
>> files it creates for writing slave zones, combined with the fact that
>> there is a "/" (forward slash) in the name it would like to write?
>> I've been searching for a way to specify the name of the temp file
>> BIND uses, but I've had no luck finding that.
>
>        I suspect you have 'file "bak.0/27.146.68.12.in-addr.arpa";'
>        in your zone declaration.  You can't alway use the zone name
>        as a file name as a zone name may contain "/" which is a
>        directory seperator in a file name.  Now you could use
>        'file "bak.0.27.146.68.12.in-addr.arpa";'  or you could
>        create the directory "bak.0".  I would choose the former.

Nope, no such file exists.  I've got bak.* for all my other zones, but
not that one.

Believe me, I would love to be able to switch that slash to a hyphen,
but thats how it was delegated to me.  How would I go about changing
it?  Since the zone I am delegated contains the slash, would I have to
CNAME the zone on my end?  Wouldn't I still have the same problem with
the CNAME'd zone?