stats brainteaser

Todd canadaboy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:58:50 UTC 2009

I've got a monitoring script in place that does an rndc stats and
parses the output, then graphs it for me nicely.

Yesterday I needed to flush the cache on a number of my servers, and I
saw a big spike in queries recorded by the server in the "success"
category. The spike was about 40% more than the usual traffic.

So, my mental exercise is this ... does BIND not record a cache hit as
a success?

Assuming my clients are doing say, 1000queries/second, and all 1000
are cache hits, do they show up as a success?

If that's the case, and the same clients were doing their usual
1000q/s after I cleared the cache, why would I see a spike in the
"successes" immediately afterwards?

It's unlikely there were actually 40% more queries that came in there,
so I am trying to understand how the stats work.

Hopefully someone can set me straight, I'm a little confused right now.

Thanks!