nsupdate and an external database

Simpson, John R john_simpson at reyrey.com
Tue Jul 28 20:10:47 UTC 2009

Greetings all,

We have a number of BIND 9.3.4 servers that are managed by ProBIND.  We would like to be able to use nsupdate to generate dynamic DNS updates, but, of course, any DDNS updates would be lost the next time the zone was "pushed" since they aren't reflected in ProBIND's MySQL database.

Is there any standard way to have BIND notify an external function or program that an update has occurred?

For example, registering a callback function that would then make the appropriate update to the ProBIND database?  That's not a perfect solution, since there's still a chance for the zone and the external database to be out of sync if the external database update doesn't exactly match the DNS update, or if the serial numbers are mishandled.  But it seems like that would be a better solution than trying to monitor zone/journal files for changes, or parsing log files.

I've looked at SDB, which would be attractive if ProBIND or an alternative management system used SDB instead of their own schema, and I'm investigating bind-dlz and NetReg.

Is there a preferred way to handle this?

Thank you for your time,

John

John Simpson
Senior Software Engineer, I. T. Engineering and Operations