Dig shows wrong ip

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Jul 28 19:00:48 UTC 2009

> > Here's your 216.250.243.230 address:
> >
> > % whois dns3.potomacnetworks.com
> >
> > Whois Server Version 2.0
> >
> > Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
> > with many different competing registrars. Go to
> > http://www.internic.net
> > for detailed information.
> >
> >   Server Name: DNS3.POTOMACNETWORKS.COM
> >   IP Address: 216.250.243.230
> >   Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.
> >   Whois Server: whois.register.com
> >   Referral URL: http://www.register.com
> >
> > So - the GTLD-servers know about this host, and will return it when
> > asked about A for dns3.potomacnetworks.com.
> >
> > Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no
>

> My DNS servers are authoritative for the domain potomacnetworks.com, and
> contain an A record for the dns3 subdomain which should point it to a
> different address, 216.250.231.11. Are you saying the problem is with a GTLD
> server? Thanks!

Yes:

% dig +short a dns3.potomacnetworks.com @a.gtld-servers.net
216.250.243.230

As long as that host record exists, with an IP different from what
your authoritative servers reply with, you are going to have problems,
because queries will be answered by the GTLD servers and not your own
authoritative servers.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no