Problems with EDNS0

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jul 22 01:30:24 UTC 2009

In message <4A661D77.9050600 at serpro.gov.br>, Breno Silveira Soares writes:
> Mark Andrews escreveu:
> > You think there isn't a firewall.  There is something in the path
> > that is blocking responses.  When you find it can you please inform
> > the manufacture that there produce is broken and you would like it
> > fixed.  FORMERR is part of the base DNS specification and shouldn't
> > be filtered.
> >
> What I don't understand is: the FORMERR response is a normal UDP packet, ok?
> What could filter this packet?
>
> >> Queries to Akamai servers doesn't work with EDNS. To resolve this
> >> problem I configure bind with directive "server <IP> { edns no; };", but
> >> isn't a good solution.
> >> From my server, some queries with EDNS works and some doesn't.
> >>

> > The Akamai do respond to EDNS queries.
> > Here is what you should be seeing.  It looks like something is
> > filtering out the FORMERR responses.  Almost all of the above log
> > messages are for zones where FORMERR is returned.  Responses from
> > EDNS aware servers are getting back.
> >
> > B.T.W. you should use 512 not as the buffer size 500.
> >
> > drugs:dnssec 13:10 {1669} % dig @n0g.akamai.net a961.g.akamai.net +bufsize=
> 512
> >
> > ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1 <<>> @n0g.akamai.net a961.g.akamai.net +bufsize=512
> > ; (1 server found)
> > ;; global options:  printcmd
> > ;; Got answer:
> > ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: FORMERR, id: 52294
> > ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 0, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
> >
> > ;; Query time: 11 msec
> > ;; SERVER: 60.254.186.21#53(60.254.186.21)
> > ;; WHEN: Tue Jul 21 13:10:50 2009
> > ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 12
> >
> > drugs:dnssec 13:10 {1670} %
> >
> > Mark
> My server gets responses with EDNS from some NS in Internet, with UDP
> packet > 512 bytes,
> e.g: "dig @a.dns.br br dnskey +dnssec +bufsize=2500"
> So it's not firewall problem, Am I correct ?

	No.  A firewall can filter on all sorts of things.

	I've seen firewall block queries on CD being set but allow
	through EDNS responses that are fragmented with CD being
	clear.

	i.e.
		"dig +bufsize=4096 example.net" succeeded.
		"dig +cd example.net" failed.

	You just have an unusual firewall issue.  FORMERR responses
	are being blocked.

> From my server, dig to Akamai with EDNS (+bufsize=512) doesn't get
> FORMERR message, dig return "connection timed out; no servers could be
> reached".
> What could be the reason ?

	You have a device in the path that is filtering out the
	FORMERR responses.  Such devices are usually labeled
	"firewall" but could be something else like a NAT with a
	bad DNS ALG.

	Mark

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org