A simple question, please help

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Jul 19 18:20:32 UTC 2009

99% of the time openDNS works by just pointing some agent to their ip
space.

That 1% of the time, openDNS tries to make DNS responses that are
modified in a way to try to help you.

Maybe this is your issue?

Googl.com being common enough they elect to return the google.com's
answer istead.

By default openDNS does not know how to return NXDOMAIN.

This is fine for end users. This is bad for developed and servers.

OpenDNS also does phishing URL blocking, stats, and a lot more.

If you plan on using them as a resolver  you want to be accurate, you
must disable these features. Simply create an account with open DNS,
login, add your IP, and disable all respond modification settings.

Make sure someone elses IP has not been inherited by you with settings
you will not want.

I used to reccomend openDNS to everone. I found a problem in their
system many many months back. Despite a small effort to resolve it,
they have seemingly forgot about the problem.

Maybe someone else here has recommendationd to huge robust recursive
resolvers that do not focus on any response modification.

--
Scott
Iphone says hello.