cannot get bind to work

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Jul 18 05:14:22 UTC 2009

In message <f5af14000907171615va77dc55l501e719b396ad3ac at mail.gmail.com>, Jonath
an Mast writes:

> I can't get nslookup to correctly return the values i've specified in my
> zone files.
>
> I've ran both named-checkconf and named-checkzone on my addr and ptr files
> and they both indicate proper formatting.
>
> here is what I get when I issue "nslookup dell2"
> Server:        192.168.1.10
> Address:    192.168.1.10#53
>
> ** server can't find dell2: NXDOMAIN
>
> dell2 is specified in my aforementioned zone files.
>
> 192.168.1.10 is the nameserving host, dell2 should return 192.168.1.20
>
> here's my setup:
> BIND 9.4.2-P2
> Slackware 12.2
>
> thanks

You have a configuration error.  Unless you show us your configuration
there is nothing anyone can do.  Post copies of the zones *unmodified*
and /etc/resolv.conf as you are depending apon the search list there
to correctly qualify dell2.

Note named-chech{zone,conf} only determine if the zone/confuguration is
ell formated.  They can't determine if is correct however.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org