SPF record Syntax Update

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Jul 18 00:34:28 UTC 2009

In message <200907172033.n6HKX0V5060805 at dc.cis.okstate.edu>, Martin McCormick w
rites:
> A person wrote me off list to say that it worked for them. I
> went to a different FreeBSD platform that happens to be the
> actual one that hosts our DNS and tried it there and it worked
> perfectly. I even verified that it is in the zone.
>
> 	So, what we have is a broken system on the one I usually
> use:
>
> $ host -tspf posse.okstate.edu
>
> host: invalid type: spf
>
> On the other system:
>
> $ host -tspf posse.okstate.edu
>
> posse.okstate.edu has SPF record "v=spf1 ip4:209.235.101.208/29 -all"
>
> The problem system had an old nsupdate from bind9.3 from
> February 13 of 2007 and an old host utility from the same date.
> Both have been completely removed so they are not an issue but
> nothing has changed. The host and nsupdate utilities were built
> along with bind95.1P2 on July 10 so they are fresh.
>
> 	Any other ideas as to what to look at?

	You are still finding a old "host" on your search path.

drugs:9.6.x 10:31 {936} % ~/cvs/9.5.x/bin/dig/host -t spf .
. has no SPF record
drugs:9.6.x 10:31 {937} % /usr/local/bin/host -t spf .
. has no SPF record
drugs:9.6.x 10:32 {938} % host -t spf .
host: invalid type: spf

drugs:9.6.x 10:32 {939} % which host