IPv6 hostname resolution not working

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jul 16 06:17:04 UTC 2009

In message <644024.70777.qm at web31001.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, vikram writes:
> hi,
>
> I am trying to setup BIND9 as a DNS server for local IPv6 name resolution
> within a LAN. I've been reading through related threads on forums and
> whatever documents Google comes up with. I am new to this and haven't been
> able to get it to work so far and could really use some help.

Link locals are "difficult" to work with.  There is no way to specify
the link in the DNS.  To use the addresses you need to specify a link
identifier which is node specific.

I suggest that you generate a ULA prefix (RFC4193) and use that.

> heres the network:
> Ubuntu 8.10 running BIND 9.5.0-P2
> IPv4 - 192.168.1.8
> IPv6 - fe80::a00:27ff:fe56:7f27/64
> hostname - dnsserver
> Windows XP SP2 (IPv6 Protocol installed)
> IPv4 - 192.168.1.7
> IPv6 - fe80::a00:27ff:fea8:81ed%5
> hostname - winclient
>
> Both the IPv6 addresses are autoconfigured, while IPv4 addresses are via DHCP.
>
> As long as iam working with IPv4, things work. I forced dnsserver's IPv4
> address on winclient's DNS settings.
> i can ping winclient and it resolves its IPv4 address. (i get replies from
> the IPv4 address)
>
> However, as soon as i add dnsserver's IPv6 address as DNS using
> netsh interface ipv6 add dns "Local Area Connection" fe80::a00:27ff:fe56:7f
> 27/64
>
> I am no longer able to resolve winclient's IP address (i get replies from IPv6
> loopback address ::1).
>
> On dnsserver:
> this is the /etc/bind/named.conf.options file=20
> listen-on-v6 { any; };
>
> and this is the /etc/bind/named.conf.local file
> zone "dnsserver." {
>     type master;
>     file "/etc/bind/db.dnsserver";
> };
>

> this is the zone file (/etc/bind/db.dnsserver)
> ;forward lookup zonefile
> $TTL 86400
> dnsserver.    IN    SOA    dnsserver. dummy.rms. {
>   =20
>         2009071309    ; Serial no., based on date
>               21600     ; Refresh after 6 hours
>                3600     ; Retry after 1 hour
>              604800     ; Expire after 7 days
>                3600     ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour
>     )
> ;Name Servers
> dnsserver        IN    AAAA fe80::a00:27ff:fe56:7f27/64
> dnsserver        IN    A    192.168.1.8
> @                IN    NS    dnsserver
>
> ;clients
> client    IN    A    192.168.1.7   =20
> client    IN    AAAA fe80::a00:27ff:fea8:81ed%5

	You don't specify the link identifier in AAAA records.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org