bind 9.6.1 under perform after running for a couple of hours

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Thu Jul 9 18:47:52 UTC 2009

At Wed, 08 Jul 2009 21:24:17 +0300,
Imri Zvik <imriz at inter.net.il> wrote:

> After a couple of hours, performance of bind 9.6.1 suddenly drops. While the
> server remains responsive, the response time increases, the rate of the
> failed queries increases, and CPU/load average usage increases. Restarting
> named solves the problem.

[snip]

> It is important to state that we just upgraded from 9.4.3-P2.

I have no idea with confidence about this kind of problem that 9.6.1
has but 9.4.3-P2 doesn't.  But one usual suspect in such a symptom is
memory management problems for a caching server.  Can you show your
named.conf to see if there's anything that may matter in this sense?
How much memory did named use when you saw the problem?  If you enable
statistics-channels can you show its output when this occurs?

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.