Truncated, retrying in TCP on Reverse lookup

Erisan Nyamutenha Erisan.Nyamutenha at uct.ac.za
Thu Jul 9 07:34:09 UTC 2009

Hi All

In order for my email server to accept mail from an external source, it does a reverse lookup on the source. I have email coming from a sender whose ip address maps to several hostnames i.e there PTR records pointing to the same IP. when I try to reverse lookup with my own DNS I get the following ;;Truncated, retrying in TCP mode then eventually I get a time out or server can't find 38.126.7.196.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL. What could this be?