dns zone delegation

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jul 3 06:12:28 UTC 2009

In message <4A4D98D9.3030601 at gmail.com>, "jittinan2 at gmail.com" writes:
> [...]
> Swisscom (Schweiz) AG
> SCS-NIT-NIO-SVO-DNW Invoice Center
> zuh. Matthias Leisi
> Alte Tiefenaustr. 6
> CH-3050 Bern
> Switzerland
>
> *Name servers:
> dns1.bluewin.ch [195.186.1.110]
> dns2.bluewin.ch [195.186.1.111]
> dns3.bluewin.ch [195.186.4.110]
> dns4.bluewin.ch [195.186.4.111]*/
> /
>
> I have executed following command:
>
> #nslookup
>  > server dns1.bluewin.ch
> Default server: dns1.bluewin.ch
> Address: 195.186.1.110#53
>  > set debug
>  > set norecure
>  > set type=ns
>  > bluewin.ch
> Server:         dns1.bluewin.ch
> Address:        195.186.1.110#53
>
> ------------
>     QUESTIONS:
>         bluewin.ch, type = NS, class = IN
>     ANSWERS:
>     ->  bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = dns2.bluewin.ch.
>     ->  bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = dns3.bluewin.ch.
>     ->  bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = dns1.bluewin.ch.
>     ->  bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = dns4.bluewin.ch.
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
> ------------
> bluewin.ch      nameserver = dns2.bluewin.ch.
> bluewin.ch      nameserver = dns3.bluewin.ch.
> bluewin.ch      nameserver = dns1.bluewin.ch.
> bluewin.ch      nameserver = dns4.bluewin.ch.
>
> Zone Authorize server(dns1.bluewin.ch) has replied that there are 4
> zone authorize servers as in whois database
>
>  > set type=a
>  > www.bluewin.ch
> Server:         dns1.bluewin.ch
> Address:        195.186.1.110#53
>
> ------------
>     QUESTIONS:
>         www.bluewin.ch, type = A, class = IN
>     ANSWERS:
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ->  www.bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = zhbdzgss01.bluewin.ch.
>     ->  www.bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch.
>     ->  www.bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = zhbdzgss02.bluewin.ch.
>     ->  www.bluewin.ch
>         nameserver = zhhdzgss01.bluewin.ch.
>     ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
>     ->  zhbdzgss01.bluewin.ch
>         internet address = 195.186.26.21
>     ->  zhbdzgss02.bluewin.ch
>         internet address = 195.186.26.22
>     ->  zhhdzgss01.bluewin.ch
>         internet address = 195.186.154.21
>     ->  zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch
>         internet address = 195.186.154.22
> ------------
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find www.bluewin.ch: No answer
>
> I  have queied a name www.bluewin.ch  type A  but it send back 4
> referrals in Authority Record then I change server to zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch

	dns1.bluewin.ch does NOT serve www.bluewin.ch so it returned
	a referral to the machines which do.  There is nothing wrong
	with this answer.

>  > server zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch
> Default server: zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch
> Address: 195.186.154.22#53
>  > www.bluewin.ch
> Server:         zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch
> Address:        195.186.154.22#53
>
> ------------
>     QUESTIONS:
>         www.bluewin.ch, type = A, class = IN
>     ANSWERS:
>     ->  www.bluewin.ch
>         internet address = 195.186.17.33
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
> ------------
> Name:   www.bluewin.ch
> Address: 195.186.17.33
>
> It has replied an ip of www.bluewin.ch but if I send a query  name
> bluewin.ch type ns
>
>  > set type=ns
>  > bluewin.ch
> Server:         zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch
> Address:        195.186.154.22#53
>
> ------------
>     QUESTIONS:
>         bluewin.ch, type = NS, class = IN
>     ANSWERS:
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
> ------------
> *** Can't find bluewin.ch: No answer
>  >
> It has replied that can not find

	zhhdzgss02.bluewin.ch is a load balancer and it does NOT
	fully implement the DNS protocol.  Basically the vendor
	decided to cut corners and not do a proper job.  This causes
	interoperability problems with nameservers which depend on
	proper behaviour.  It also causes interoperability problems
	with programs which check delegations.

	It really isn't that hard to make a load balancer return
	SOA and NS records for the zones delegated to it.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org