A newbies Bind question

Peter Privat peter.privat at breilind.com
Sat Jan 31 18:24:31 UTC 2009

Hi,
My first posting here! :)

I have installed the Bind9 DNS server into an Debian (Ubuntu 8.04)
server. I manged to make it work for all the computers that belongs to
the same subnet, at a real internet IP subnet (not a private IP like 192
etc). It is also not behind a firewall. I have entered the DNS server IP
to all my computers attached to the same subnet. I can now both use my
private DNS server instead of the one from my ISP.

My question:
Is it possible for my friends out there somewhere in cybespace to also
use my DNS server by entering its IP their DNS settings?

So far I haven't managed to make it work. If another computer somewhere
out there in the cloud is entering the IP of my private DNS server into
their internet settings, they are not able to use that DNS server. It
doesn't provide DNS at all. Seems like it is blocked or doesn't allow
computers that is not on the same subnet, or something. Is there a
configuration that I've missed? How do the ISP's make their DNS servers
usable for everyone?

/Peter