referral doubt

Luis Silva luisfilsilva at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 15:39:01 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I have a question related with the contacting external servers.
If my server receives an referral answer from an external server with 3 NS
records but just 1 A additional record, what is the normal behaviour? is the
server supposed to resolve all 3 nameservers or continues with the iterative
process contacting the server that have the additional A record.

For example:
Trying to resolve www.testing.server.com
When contacting "server.com" nameserver I receive in the answer 3 NS and 1 A
Additional record:
testing.server.com NS ns1.testing.server.com
 testing.server.com NS ns2.testing.server.com
 testing.server.com NS ns3.testing.server.com
ns1.testing.server.com A 192.123.123.23

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Luis