wildcarding everything

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 28 17:42:31 UTC 2009

Excuse any spelling. I'm mobile.

I would be wildcarding "."

My client has a website building service. You get a free account and
tools to get your site online all built in a browser with web based
tools.

It works well now but the synchronization of the database with named,
users coming and going, keeping a slave up to date, delete zones, all
that is a burden.

All the time the users need status of their domain. Where the whois is
at, if their zone has been created etc.

It works, they have growing pains.  It us only in private test and
growing fast. Free seems to be appealing :)

Since users sign up they must change their ns's at their registrar.
They own their domains. They can leave at any time. The service does
not offer registration.

I can remove the entire DNS management, zone creation, and deltion if
I wildcard. Any domain in which they enter in my clients ns's will
resolve automatically as soon as the whois updates.

So yes, these two ns's would be authoritative for all domains, but if
I understand it correct, only those that users so chose to.

It's not like an end user would request amazon.com and ever hit these
two ns's. If that could happen DNS would be easily messed with.

The ns's would deny recursion, they of course would not be used as a
local resolved either. As a matter pf fact recursion would be denied
to all nets entirely.

I hope this explains it better. While this is not domain parking, it
acts much like it, I would guess large registrars do something
similar. I can not imagine them generating all these real zone files
in such quantity for every parked domain.

I'm trying to bring reliability in the synchronization of services
trying to be offered.

Thanks fly any suggestions.
--
Scott