wildcarding everything

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 28 09:31:26 UTC 2009

Hello, I am wondering the technical possibility of a DNS change.  Even
if it is technically possible, I also want to make sure it is
compliant as well.

I would like to resolve any and all requests to a fixed IP, if there
is no zone in place.  While I understand I can create a zone for
*.example.com and resolve all of the * portion to an A record and
further have a web server take over...

What I am looking to do now, is have the very act of having my two
NS's listed as NS's with their domain, resolve to an A record.
Essentially, wildcard the entire DNS machine.

There may be cases where a real zone is put in place, to a different A
record, and that would need to take priority, but if it does not, I
would like to resolve it.

The NS's in question will not be answering for recursive queries, so I
am not worried about local requests getting hijacked or mis-routed.

An example would be:
some-domain-foo.com is registered. My NS of ns-me.example.com is set
up and working, but does not have some-domain-foo.com entered as a
zone.  When a request comes in for some-domain-foo.com I want an A
record for an IP of my choice, also for www.some-domain-foo.com as well.

Possible?  Acceptable?

Thanks.
--