BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jan 27 06:26:03 UTC 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 10:03 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <gllr91$2vqt$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote:
>
>> 100% right.  I refuse MX's that are cnamed, and I get emails from
>> customers asking what is up.  What is strange, and I can not figure
>> it
>> out, is that the admins of the DNS/email server always tell me this
>> is
>> the first time they have heard of it.
>
> So you're not following the "be liberal in what you accept" half of
> the
> Interoperability Principle, which is intended specifically to avoid
> problems due to such confusion.

Because that worked so well for HTML :)
I was thinking about that quote just the other day.  To be honest, I
think it applies well to social issues, but not technical or
engineering/programming ones.  The second you accept liberally, that
tells the submitter that it is ok.

I am hard pressed to think of one case in which liberally accepting
data is a good thing.  It is that very expression that defines why we

Just consider the ramifications of parsing that one simple string,
which is now non trivial to parse.  What is C worked this way?

Just some thoughts I was having the other day.
--
Scott