BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 27 04:41:02 UTC 2009

In message <3C802402A28C4B2390B088242A91FB9C at AHSNBW1>, "Al Stu" writes:

> RFC 974:
> "There is one other special case.  If the response contains an answer which
> is a CNAME RR, it indicates that REMOTE is actually an alias for some other
> domain name. The query should be repeated with the canonical domain name."

	And that is talking about the response to a MX query.  The section
	from which you quote starts with:

Issuing a Query

   The first step for the mailer at LOCAL is to issue a query for MX RRs
   for REMOTE.  It is strongly urged that this step be taken every time
   a mailer attempts to send the message.  The hope is that changes in
   the domain database will rapidly be used by mailers, and thus domain
   administrators will be able to re-route in-transit messages for
   defective hosts by simply changing their domain databases.

	and the paragraph after that which you quote is:

   If the response does not contain an error response, and does not
   contain aliases, its answer section should be a (possibly zero
   length) list of MX RRs for domain name REMOTE (or REMOTE's true
   domain name if REMOTE was a alias).  The next section describes how
   this list is interpreted.

	So I would suggest that you stop taking text out of context.

	CNAME -> MX is legal
	MX -> CNAME is illegal

	Mark